Linking Science and Public Policy: Strategies to Engage in Policy Change and Communicate with Policy Makers
Desired outcomes for the workshop include:
- To improve ability of scientists to communicate their knowledge
- To better equip scientists to balance scientific uncertainty with definitive statements that translate to management practices
The workshop is designed and delivered by professionals who link science and policy, including:
- California Climate and Agriculture Network, a non-profit that advances policies to support sustainable agriculture in the face of climate change
- Resource Media, a non-profit public relations firm that specializes in providing communication services to aid conservation policy
- A California legislative aid involved in environmental policy development
- ESA’s Public Affairs Office, which works to inform the ecological community of opportunities to engage in public policy and the media.
These speakers will share their first-hand experiences of the successes and failures of developing environmental policy based on science.