This workshop will begin with an introduction by speakers on strategies for effectively mentoring undergraduate students, followed by moderated small-group discussions of the following topics:
- Mentoring students in the summer versus during the academic year.
- Facilitating continuity in your research group (including data management).
- Culturally sensitive mentoring.
- Training mentors and mentor abuse.
- Facilitating multi-tier mentoring (including among undergraduates and graduate students/postdocs).
- Assessing and evaluating mentoring.
Attendees will be divided into small groups which will spend roughly 7.5 minutes discussing each of the topics. At the end of the small group discussions, participants will reconvene and compile specific strategies for addressing each of the topics. Strategies discussed during this workshop will be written up into a “Best Practices for Mentoring Undergraduates” document that will be made publicly available through the RUI section website.